July 2, 2011

Not Your Mama's Mayonnaise



It’s my mama’s mayonnaise.

And it’s

Out

Of

This

World.

It’s seriously the best mayonnaise that I think exists. Possibly one of the best foods that exists.

And that is saying a lot coming from me because I have a weird relationship with mayonnaise. I spent most of my life refusing to eat it. These days, I’ll eat it, but am incredibly picky about where it comes from and the quality of it. You wouldn’t catch me dead eating a sandwich from Jimmy John’s with mayonnaise on it. Or the potato salad you buy at the grocery store drenched in it. No way. Not gonna happen.

But as the binding agent for a lobster roll or smeared onto a BLT at Lucia’s, I will for sure eat it. And homemade by myself or my mom, I’ll eat it by the spoonful.

And it’s really the easiest thing in the world to make.



My favorite way to enjoy it is this: slice a good baguette, liberally smear the baguette slices with mayonnaise, and top with a slice of heirloom tomato and a grind of freshly cracked black pepper.



Don’t toast the bread. Don’t add a basil leaf. Leave it what it should be—simple.

Please go make this.

And then try not to wish my mama was your mama. J


Mom’s Homemade Olive Oil Mayonnaise

1 pasteurized egg
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 c good quality olive oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper

In blender, blend egg, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar for 10 seconds.

With blender running, slowly pour in olive oil through feed tube (make sure to hold a dish towel over feed tube as you do this to avoid a mess). Mayonnaise will thicken.

Add salt and pepper and blend to incorporate.

Refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment