July 31, 2011

Corny and Cheesy



I refuse to throw away any of my food magazines. I hoard them away, letting them collect and pile up, sure that I will use them again one day. I generally don’t. Not because I don’t want to, but because I’m completely overwhelmed by them all, piles upon piles. I know that if I start with them, it would likely lead to a full day given to food magazines. (Maybe that isn’t so bad…)

However, once in a while, when I really love something, I’ll tear it out of the magazine and file it away. Now, I have to really love something to get myself to tear apart a magazine. And I get a little bit of heartburn over it. I love magazines too much to tear them apart.

But this corn recipe is one that I loved enough to commit magazine murder.

It’s from an old issue of Gourmet (I miss Gourmet—don’t you?).

The whole menu that it was a part of is pretty fabulous and something I make every summer: Cumin-Scented Beef Kebabs, Corn on the Cob with Mint-Feta Butter (I actually use a Mexican queso fresco cheese instead b/c I hate feta), and Garlic-Oregano Grilled Pita Bread. It involves the grill, it involves sweet corn—it’s really a great summer menu.

It’s one of those menus that you kind of stumble upon, decide to try for guests, and then get blown away by it. It’s deceivingly good.

I think it’s the corn though that has me coming back every summer, and that has me waiting and waiting for sweet corn to appear at the farmer’s market.



As if sweet corn isn’t fabulous enough its own, for this recipe you mix together lots of freshly chopped mint, freshly grated queso fresco cheese, and butter, and then slather it on the hot cooked corn. Sprinkled with a little salt and pepper, it’s perfect.



It’s what everyone should eat on a summer Sunday night.


Corn on the Cob with Mint-Cheese Butter, Adapted from August 2009 issue of Gourmet

½ stick unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups grated Mexican queso fresco cheese
¼ c freshly chopped mint
8 ears fresh sweet corn, shucked, cobs cut in half
Salt and pepper

Mix together butter, cheese, and mint. Set aside.

Cook the corn for a few minutes in boiling water.

Add cooked corn to butter and cheese mixture and stir, until evenly coated.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I made this corn recipe when the issue of Gourmet came out in '09 and loved it (and yes! I really do miss Gourmet!). I shared the recipe with my sister and we've made them again a few times. Everybody loves them. I do love feta, though, but the queso fresco idea is a good idea for those who don't like feta or if you're out.

    ReplyDelete