January 30, 2011

The Comfort Sandwich


For some reason I have always remembered the dinner my mom had waiting for me when I arrived back into town the summer of 2006 when I moved back to go to business school. I pulled up to my newly rented little vintage apartment in Uptown with my Jeep packed to the brim. The apartment was empty, aside from the shag rugs and folding chairs I had gotten from Ikea and plopped in there a few weeks earlier.

I was emotionally on edge. I had just quit my job at American Girl, packed up everything I owned, and decided to give this business school thing a shot. And there she was waiting for me at my new apartment with a delicious little dinner from Lucia’s To Go: a brie & arugula sandwich, a chocolate cookie, and a bottle of Pelegrino.

Flash-forward three years later. I was having a particularly stressful week at work. And one day I came home to a cooler on our porch full of meals for the entire week. There was spaghetti and meatballs. There was meatloaf and mashed potatoes. And there was gazpacho with…brie & arugula sandwiches. (Yes, I do have the best mom ever.)

So now I call this brie & arugula sandwich “the comfort sandwich” because she has given me that sandwich in times when I’ve needed…well, comfort.



We had it for dinner tonight. Not because I’m particularly in need of comfort, but because it’s delicious, too. And it’s easy (and I had to work tonight).



My mom has altered the recipe a bit vs. Lucia’s version. The pretzel breadsticks from Breadsmith add a little something special, I think.


Brie & Arugula Sandwiches (aka The Comfort Sandwich)

2 pretzel breadsticks from Breadsmith
Extra-virgin olive oil
Brie
Arugula
Salt & Pepper

Slice breadsticks in half. Smear brie onto one side of bread. Top with mounds of arugula. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Done!

Makes: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment