September 2, 2011

Enough is Enough

Here’s the problem. I desperately want to bake something right now. I mean, this is what I do when I have free time. And it’s a long weekend, and I have free time. Normally on a long weekend like this, I would drag out all of the most recent ear-marked cookbooks and magazines I’d been piling up, I would re-evaluate and prioritize the best recipes, and then I’d get to work and make them.

And then I’d eat them, of course.

However, it has become very obvious to me lately (and not just b/c my pants are always tight) that I eat a lot. A lot of sweets. A lot of wonderful sweets.

I am just not a salt-lover. When given the option, I’d choose a big piece of cake or a bag of gummy worms over chips and Mexican layer dip every single time.

Let’s do a quick inventory of what the last few weeks have looked like in the sweets department.

A couple of weekends ago, I went nuts and made Rhubarb Frozen Yogurt Macaron Sandwiches (and the frozen yogurt was NOT healthy). That same weekend I made about 10 dozen delicious chocolate chip cookies with sea salt. Sunday night I ate a whole Peanut Buster Parfait from DQ by myself. On Monday, I had a few bites of the Chocolate Oblivion dessert at Al Vento. On Tuesday, I gladly sampled my friend Lizzie’s gooey caramel blondies at work. Last night, I split the Butterscotch Pots de Crème at Tilia. And I am 100% sure there was more—this is what is top of mind as I type.

It’s bad. I’m bad.

So, I’m not letting myself bake tonight.

And this pains me because I have a bazillion recipes ear-marked and ready:

Rose cream puffs
Homemade pop-tarts
Almond Joy cupcakes
Lavender brownies
Sticky buns
Banana cream pie with a  chocolate crust

I already came close to caving a few times today. I spent a good 30 minutes trying to convince myself that maybe if I baked something for tomorrow’s breakfast, that would be okay. Because there is a chance we’ll go out for breakfast tomorrow and I’ll have something equally unhealthy. But, I stopped myself.

And then I pondered whether or not rice pudding would really count as something all that bad.

I think the worst is past. I think I’m gonna stay strong.

But I don’t like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment