February 1, 2013

Lactation Cookies & Ensuing Hilarity

Now, boys, this may be too much for you to handle. I'm sorry. I'll get back to gender-neutral content soon.

But until then, this post is for you, ladies. Particularly those of you who are breastfeeding or have in the past.

Let me start off by saying it totally figures that the one thing I am convinced can increase my milk supply is cookies. I've tried insane amounts of water, tons of capsules that taste like...hay (or what I'm assuming hay tastes like), beer before bed, oats added to everything, a general well-balanced diet. No major changes.

But my friend gave me a container of some lactation cookies earlier this week. You know how I feel about baked goods. I've been cooped up in the house sick, with my sick baby all week. I ate more cookies than I should have.

And I swear I saw results. Awesome. This creates a challenging dilemma. If I eat 5 cookies a day, I will  increase my milk supply.

If I eat 5 cookies a day, I will also get fat.

But if I eat 5 cookies a day, I will be able to give my baby more milk. And probably be happier because I get to indulge in cookies every day. 

I haven't decided what to do yet. 

In the meantime, I'll leave you with a couple off funny exchanges between Zach and I regarding lactation cookies. 

A few months ago, when I mentioned the idea of lactation cookies:

(Insert totally horrified look here.) 
Z: Is there breast milk in them?
S: No, Zach, no breast milk in them. Come on.

Fast forward to this week. Clearly Zach had forgotten any explanations I had given him a few months ago about lactation cookies.

(Insert totally delighted look of surprise after coming across cookies in the cabinet.) 
Z: Where did these come from?!
S: They're lactation cookies. You can't have any. (I was jokingly going to let him believe he couldn't eat them because he might end up lactating. Because seriously, how can you resist?)
Z: Oh, come on. They aren't lactation cookies. 
S: No, seriously, they are.
Z: No, stop.
S: Zach, they are lactation cookies. P gave them to me.
Z: You're just saying that. I bet all cookies are lactation cookies.
S: No, these are really lactation cookies. They have ingredients in them that promote lactation.
Z: Well, can I have one?
S: I don't know if I would. I mean, do you really want to risk making milk?
Z: Ugh, stop. I'm going to ask R. (P's husband)
(Zach texts R to ask him about this cookie situation.)
Z: He says he has had one and isn't making milk yet.
(Zach eats 1 cookie.)
(Hours later, I get a text from P.)
P: Is Zach making milk yet? ;)
S: Zach, P wants to know if you're making milk yet.
Z: Tell her yes and that I'm wearing pad protectors.

Oh boy. :)

1 comment:

  1. For me, these cookies worked. Also, just making sure I had enough fat in my diet. I know it's hard with the balance of wanting to lose the baby weight and feed your baby at the same time, but you have to make the decision to do what's best for you and your family. Other women I know decided to stop nursing and lose the baby weight around 5 months post baby. For me, I waited until I was done nursing to concentrate on losing, because if I did try, my milk dipped.

    Also, once Lola starts eating more foods, her milk intake will decrease. So, hopefully, that helps.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete