August 19, 2011

All the Wiser



I’m a little upset with myself for not visiting Wise Acre Eatery earlier. I heard of Wise Acre long before it even existed because I had a disgruntled friend who was very sad that Liberty Custard would be no more.

I saw little tidbits about the place here and there; saw people tweet about it; still didn’t go; never managed to get super excited about it. But I finally went last night with my dining buds L &L (we three try new places together, and Wise Acre Eatery was a new place for us—not an easy feat with three well-fed foodies).



So, here’s the deal: this place is “delightful” as my dining buds called it, makes you feel good, has some killer outdoor seating, and has really good food. It’s going to be added to Zach’s and my regular repertoire of restaurants for sure. Especially for the duration of the summer and fall.

They have a takeout window (two, actually) where you can get simpler items like sandwiches, soups, salads to go or eat outside with. But last night we did the dining room.



I started to get excited as I sat outside waiting for our table as I kept catching glimpses through the glass of the stuff they had for sale on the counter as you walked inside: a few pints of clearly fresh and ripe raspberries, a big huge bowl of beautiful tomatoes, and jars of homemade pickle-y stuff and sauces for ice cream (or whatever).



We three each had a glass of $6 rose, apparently the “staff favorite.” We sipped, we looked around, and we immediately all took a strong liking to this place. I think this was the first time we all completely reached consensus.

I started with a really delicious chilled beet soup that was perhaps the prettiest color I’ve ever ingested. I love fuchsia.




And then I faced some major indecisiveness when deciding on my entrée. The special last night caught my eye: a fried green tomato BLT with a side of peach and cucumber salad (um, yes please!). But then the Bacon Brie Burger that came with fries served with housemade rhubarb ketchup and homemade pickles really started to sound good. As did the Garlic Beef Skewers that came with a soft scrambled egg.



I ultimately decided on the burger and was immediately grateful when a big pile of perfect fries showed up with it. The burger was juicy, tasty, and perched upon a soft brioche bun. The rhubarb ketchup was lovely, spicy and sweet. I could have taken or left the wild rice slaw, but I’ve never been a huge fan on wild rice, and I applauded them for mixing it up a bit.




I was momentarily embarrassed when all three of us managed to completely clean our dinner plates. But I got over it in time to order chocolate custard for dessert with what I thought was going to be a rhubarb caramel sauce (intriguing, no?) but turned out to be raspberry sauce. However, I happily ate it out of its little glass jar as it melted and sloshed over the sides with no complaining.



So, yes, this place is a winner. Garden-y, thoughtful, homey, well done. I don’t know that this will become a Saturday night destination for us, but it will definitely make it on our “want good food on a weeknight” list.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great :)
    I just found your blog and so glad I did. I am going to add a link to you from Twin Cities Restaurant Blog. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristi! Appreciate the link!!

    ReplyDelete